Katherine Switzer

I had a little break, but today I'm back with a new flash of inspiration.

I would like to tell you about Katherine Switzer. I came across this name reading a short story entitled Numer 261 (Number 261) written by Aleksandra Zielińska. I was really surprised that I had never heard of Katherine before, she is a very inspiring and important person. 


In 1967, she registered in the Boston Marathon and finished it successfully. Katherine gave only her initials (K.V. Switzer) because back then women were not allowed to run this marathon. She put on a hood and at first nobody objected. But then, during the race, Jock Semple, the organiser of the marathon, realised what had happened, tugged her sweatshirt and tried to rip off the race bib. Fortunately, Katherine wasn't alone. Her friend, Tom, and her coach, Arnie, hepled her. Photos of this incident became very popular and sparked off a debate about allowing women to start in marathons.




Five years later, women were officially permitted to run the Boston Marathon. Katherine Switzer became a sportswriter and devoted herself to the fight for equal rights in sport. She created a programme encouraging women to run marathones which was intruduced in many countries. 

I really admire her attitude full of determination and uncompromissingness. 

I knew if I quit, nobody would ever believe that women had the capability to run 26-plus miles. If I quit, everybody would say it was a publicity stunt. If I quit, it would set women’s sports back, way back, instead of forward. If I quit, I’d never run Boston. If I quit, Jock Semple and all those like him would win. My fear and humiliation turned to anger.

Komentarze

Popularne posty